At Rendezvous Mountain you can enjoy winding trails, mountain top views and …Talking Trees!
Rendezvous Mountain Educational State Park is loads of fun for Family and school groups. Here you can hike the trails, have a picnic and enjoy some of the many educational opportunities. If you come on a good clear day you may even get to enjoy a hayride! I first went to Rendezvous Mountain when I was just a little kid. I remember taking a hayride from the parking area up the mountain where my family had a picnic. My favorite part about the trip was the hike to see the Talking Trees! My sister and I would race from one talking tree to the next and take turns pushing the button to hear what each tree had to teach us. I still enjoy the Talking Tree Trail today but my favorite part now are the many hiking trails and the views.
Tips for your trip
- Call ahead. You may not always need to call ahead but if you are going during the school year and want to avoid a school group it may not be a bad idea to check first. If you are taking a group of friends and family you may want to call and see if a ranger can give you a tour when you arrive.
- Read the trail map before you get started. Little ones may not have the energy to walk all of the trails. Planning your hike will allow you see what you want to see first and not feel exhausted when you reach your favorite parts.
- Take a camera!!! The views are amazing and you are sure to see some wildlife.
- Check the weather. You won’t want to be there on a rainy day or during a lightening storm. If the forecast calls for fog you may not get to see the long views until later in the day if at all. Even if it is foggy there will still be plenty to see on the trails and at the educational sites.
- Dress comfortably. Anytime you travel in the mountains you will want to wear sensible shoes and dress in layers. The weather is typically cooler at higher elevations and earlier in the morning.
- Take a picnic! There is so much to see and so many great places to have a picnic. Having lunch on the mountain will be a great way to take a break between hiking trails.
- Talking Trees Trail
- High Mountain Views
- Fire Tower
- Forestry Center
- Hiking Trails
- Waterfall Trail
- Picnic areas
- Forestry Education Trail
With the picturesque views and calmness of nature all around it is no wonder that couples would chose to be married at Rendezvous Mountain. One of the most popular locations for any event on the mountain is at the amphitheater, nestled below a tall canopy of foliage. The park has sheltered areas perfectly suited for a casual chic reception. To learn about how you can schedule your event at Rendezvous Mountain call (336) 667-5072.
- Drive from Wilkesboro towards Boone on US 421 North
- Turn right onto NC 16 North
- After about 3 miles turn left onto Boone Trail Road
- In about 3 miles turn right onto Purlear Road
- In about a mile Purlear Road will become Shingle Gap Road (just keep going)
- In one mile turn left onto Rendezvous Mt. Road
- Follow the drive up the mountain to one of the two parking lots